.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Muscat, Oman/ Bangalore, India

Round Peg....in a square hole. That describes me! All my life I have never quite fit in ... now I have just given up trying to live up to the expectations of the square hole or trying to find a round one!

Saturday, December 31, 2005

ET’s 15 questions

In the 28th December supplement of Brand Equity, Economic Times has asked 15 questions about things that interest and excite consumers. These questions are asked to a mix of marketing and advertising professionals. And I am shocked how clueless some of them are!

Last time ET ran a similar questionnaire, people did not fare much better either.

Most were unaware of new trends that almost border on mania (I-pod, podcasting, bey-blades), innovative and popular offers (McDonalds Happy Price Menu offer for just INR 20), or even knowing which management guru died recently (Peter Drucker).

If I were the head of marketing, this would worry me. For instance, Piyush Pandey, considered to be the finest creative brain in Indian advertising industry answered only 6 questions correctly. The questions he answered right were mostly about his industry (the new corporate colours of the telecom brand Hutch, recognizing a tagline…).

If advertising professionals do not have a feel for the pulse of the market how can they be relied upon to deliver advertising that works ? Or how can marketing professionals come up with strategies or new products that strikes a chord with the audience?

1 Comments:

Blogger BrainSyke said...

Marketing is not my cup of tea. However, I have need services of marketing firms before.I must admit the price tags were not impressive with the services attached to them

9:49 AM, January 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home