.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Muscat, Oman/ Bangalore, India

Round Peg....in a square hole. That describes me! All my life I have never quite fit in ... now I have just given up trying to live up to the expectations of the square hole or trying to find a round one!

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Titan's FasTrack hoarding

Passing by the Cauvery Theatre Junction the other day, I came across this hoarding for Titan's Fastrack watches. Nice pictures as usual but what amazed me was the headline that said 'How many you have?'

The headline is jarring. And when it comes from a company of the stature of Titan, it is disappointing. I am curious what the former (founder) CEO of Titan, Xerxes Desai, known for his command and love for the English language (and keen sense of aesthetics) thinks of this headline.

I did not get a good picture but here is a picture of another FasTrack hoarding taken from magindia.com

Google threw up an article written by R Sridhar, CEO of Brand-Comm, which argued that Titan may be forgiven or imperfect grammar since the headline is pithy, catches attention and probably speaks the language of its target audience (15 -24 year olds) but then maintains that imperfect grammar is imperfect grammar at the end of the day. True.

Which brings me to the second and perhaps more important point - I thought command over the English language is one of the reasons why more and more work is being 'bangalored' to India.

If we start speaking like the FasTrack advertisement, work will be 'bangalored' out of India!

An aside - Fragrances from Titan?

When we were in Dubai we saw an advt on a hoarding for fragrances from Titan. I was a bit taken aback. I wonder who Titan's target audience is.I can't imagine too many people buying perfumes from Titan in Dubai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home