.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Muscat, Oman/ Bangalore, India

Round Peg....in a square hole. That describes me! All my life I have never quite fit in ... now I have just given up trying to live up to the expectations of the square hole or trying to find a round one!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Learning languages

Although I speak 4 languages fluently and can get by in another 2, English is the only language I read in.

 

Which is a shame really because there is so much out there that I am obviously missing.

 

At school, at one point, I was studying 4 languages –

1. English the medium of instruction.

2. Hindi as a second language

3. Gujarati as a third language and finally

4. Sanskrit as a special language.

 

I also had a mother that subscribed to the Hindi edition of ‘Chandamama’  just so that I would develop a love for the language.

 

In spite of all this, the only language I read in is English. I think there are plenty like me.

 

Apart from labeling me dumb or as some would, a snob (a KaalaaGoraa !), I think its because of the way we were taught the languages.

 

Instead of forcing us to pass exams in them, maybe we could have had fun with them – maybe put up plays in the language or collect songs…...

 

I still get the jitters when I think of the ISC Hindi exams – we had to go thru some real obscure, heavy stuff, it was so boring and out of context with our lives, it put us off completely and in doing so put us off Hindi.

 

Instead, I wish the curriculum required a study of the  movies of Bimal Roy or Gurudutt (both y favorites!). We would have watched all the movies (very enjoyable) then, discussed them and in doing that got a better insight in the traditions and thinking of India, been exposed to a variety of subjects which would have broadened our horizons  and in the bargain we would all have been fluent in Hindi..

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

an Indian in Muscat who doesnt know Malayalam??? who gave you a visa? be careful, you might be deported

7:39 AM, June 06, 2005  
Blogger AkaRound Peg said...

Oh no, I am safe in Muscat and probably also in Bahrain and Dubai. Rest of the GCC? You might be right ! grin

12:25 PM, June 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home